Minnesota Association of Songwriters
Founded in 1980, the Minnesota Association of Songwriters is a volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to celebrating the art of creating original music by combining arts, education and community outreach.
MAS meets twice monthly to learn about the craft of songwriting, to
review and provide commentary about each others' music and to exchange
information about topics ranging from song contests and conferences to
legal issues and internet concerns.
Through workshops, review meetings, showcases, networking and other activities, we offer opportunities for all to strengthen their songwriting and performance skills, while encouraging collaboration and exploration of the creative process.
MAS members enjoy a wide variety of benefits, including:
- Knowledgeable, face-to-face reviews at meetings
- Knowledgeable online reviews if you cannot regularly attend meetings
- Workshops on the craft of songwriting and related topics
- Live, public-performance showcases throughout the year
- Videotaped performance showcases for airing on CATV ("Minnesingers")
- Informative resources & a personal listing at our web site, mnsongwriters.org
- Music streaming from the organization's web site
- Extensive music streaming from the organization's own "Internet Radio" station
Discounts with participating merchants and web organizations for songwriters
- Networking with fellow songwriters
At most monthly meetings, MAS members offer reviews of songs for at least an hour. Each song is reviewed by attending members of the organization and a discussion takes place with regard to structure, lyrical content and commerciality, among other items. Instrumentals are discussed with regard to song structure, instrument use and arrangement.
Music is experienced in as many different ways as there are people in the world, so members are open about what they hear and offer constructive criticism, keeping in mind the goals of the songwriter. Each member determines his or her own goals and objectives.
Our Mission is to inspire, educate and strengthen the songwriting and performance skills of its members through seminars, workshops, song-review meetings, showcases and networking opportunities, while encouraging collaboration and exploration of the creative process.
- 2008 Recipient of a "Grass Roots" Award from BMI
- 2010 Recipient of a MN Legacy Grant from the Metropolitan Regional Arts Council
For information on becoming a member of MAS, please visit